Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Grilled Mexican Pizza

Tonight I made Mexican Pizza's for dinner.  I added a couple of spices to my pizza dough mixture to spice it up - - Mexican Style.   Instead of baking the pizzas like I usually do I decided to place them on the grill.  My chef instructor said she grills all of her pizzas so I thought I would give it a try.  After I rolled out the dough I sprayed it with Grapeseed oil and grilled them on one side, flipped them over and spread refried black beans and cheese on top.  I had extra toppings for my family to add according to their preference.

Grilled Mexican Pizza

Spicy Dough
1 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup spelt flour
1 T chili powder
1 t Mexican oregano
1/2 t salt


  1. Combine water, yeast and 1 1/2 cups of flour in a large bowl.  Mix well.
  2. Add the oil, salt, 1/2 cup ww flour, 1/2 cup spelt, chili powder, Mexican oregano, and salt. Blend with a wooden spoon until dough holds its shape.
  3. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until it is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.  
  4. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled 2-quart bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot to rise until the dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
  5. Knead the dough again for a minute or two to work out the air.  Divide dough into 8 balls.

Serves 8.

Make pizzas.

Roll out dough into a 6" circle.  Spray with grapeseed oil and place on a hot grill.  Cook one side for a couple of minutes.  Turn.  Spread refried black beans over each and sprinkle shredded cheese too.  Grill until cheese melts and crust is done.

Top with additional condiments like salsa, shredded cheese, jalapeno's, and/or guacamole.

After the rise.
Here are the spices I used.
 Enjoy!

TIP:  If you don't have a warm place to let your dough rise, turn on the oven to 170F for 30 seconds then turn it off.  Now you have a warm spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment