Sunday, July 3, 2011

Perfect Rice

I've always had troubles making rice.  Either it was too sticky or too al dente.  In my search to make the perfect rice I finally found a solution.   Give it a try and you too will end up with perfect rice that's not sticky or gummy.

4-quart Pressure Cooker works best
Perfect Rice

Equipment used:  Pressure Cooker; 4 quart pot

Ingredients:

2 cups brown short grain rice, soaked and rinsed
*4 cups chicken or beef stock (water works too)
1 t salt

In the 4-quart pot bring 4 cups of liquid to a boil.

In the pressure cooker, dry toast, over medium heat, the rice until nice and nutty, about 8-10 minutes.  Add the hot liquid and salt.  Put the lid on the pressure cooker.  When the pot is under pressure (indicated by the yellow pressure indicator that pops up on the Fagor models) begin the timer for 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes.  Release pressure according to the manufactures suggestions and taste the rice.  If it's done place the lid back on and let steam for 10 minutes.  There will be liquid in the pot so don't be alarmed.  Strain, season according to taste and serve.  If the rice is not done, place the lid back on and place on the stove and cook at pressure for 3-5 more minutes.

This, by far, is my favorite method. I know I have to get an extra pot dirty but the end result is worth it to me!

Why should I soak my grains?  Read this article to find out why...

TIP:  Make double and use later in the week!


*I used my leftover pork stock from my Carnitas.

No comments:

Post a Comment